Firearms Application & Registration System (FARS) Application Procedures for Applicants:
- Visit www.njportal.com/NJSP/fars
- Use ORI# NJ0091200 for the West New York Police Department (you will not be able to complete the FARS online application without the proper ORI#).
- Complete the online application. If you complete the application using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer, you will need to be able to print the IdentoGO fingerprinting form. If you fail to print the form, contact your police department and request they provide you with the IdentiGO form. Provide the police department the FARS contributor case number that begins with NJ. The confirmation number will not be used by IdentoGO or the police department on the IdentoGO form.
- When completing the application, you will need to provide the email addresses of two (2) reputable references.
- You MUST appear at your Police Department to PAY for your INITIAL New Jersey Firearms Identification Card (FID) and/or pistol purchase permits immediately upon applying. Your application WILL NOT be processed until you have paid for the FID card/Pistol Permits. Non-refundable payment is required to be made at the time of application as per NJAC 13:54-1.4.
*If an INITIAL applicant applied for an FID card and forgot to apply for pistol purchase permits, the applicant must re-apply for the pistol purchase permit AFTER their initial application is processed and approved.
*You will be receiving automated email updates throughout this process.
*Once your application is complete, a representative will contact you to retrieve your FID card and/or pistol purchase permit documents. DO NOT APPEAR AT YOUR POLICE DEPARTMENT UNTIL ADVISED TO DO DO.
*Please advise your references that the FARS system will email the reference questions to be answered to them. Your references can complete the questions using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. Please advise them to complete the questions immediately to progress your background investigation.
*The online application is applicant driven. Please ensure that you have entered the best phone numbers for yourself and references as well as the best email addresses for yourself and references.
West New York Police Department
428 60th St. – Tyler Pl.
West New York, NJ 07093
Hours of Operation: